One of our goals in producing actors was to get them to explain their plans. You get to the climax, the big bad delivers a villain speech explaining everything, and you hear:
It was me all along! I hired Thekal the Orc for my Army of Doom! Then I hired Koho the Salmon-beast for my Army of Doom! Then I purchased a sickle sword for Thekal the Orc! Then I purchased a spear for Koho the Salmon-beast! Then I told Thekal the Orc and Koho the Salmon-beast to patrol the corridors of my Fortress of Doom!
And then, three chapters later, if you pay close attention, you find out that she was actually the one to kill your parents. But that’s only a third of the way through her monologue, because, though it was halfway through her rise to power, she had this geometric growth thing going on. So you’ve got another six chapters of villain monologue because your villain AI didn’t know how to explain itself properly.
I don’t know how to fix this. But I have a stub leading toward a solution.
The basic idea is that your AI should have small goals that lead up to a big goal. For instance, the villain’s ultimate goal was to rule the country. One level down from that, she had two goals: obtain the Talisman of Senatorial Mind Control to take control of the government, and raise an army to crush the remaining resistance. Another level down, and on the talisman side her goals are to obtain the Three Rods of Power and assemble them at Mount Doom, while on the army side her goals are to obtain equipment and recruit soldiers. In order to get the Rods of Power, she can use her army to raid the Temple of Aberzle (where the Rod of Air is stored), use money to purchase the Rod of Water (which a rich person is keeping as a curiosity), and steal the Rod of Fire from Castle Fira.
You end up with a tree, or at least a directed acyclic graph, of plans within plans. It’s pretty easy to generate an explanation from this. You might ask the Dark Lady Valeria, “Why are you doing all this?” And she would answer:
I want to rule the country, so I decided to obtain the Talisman of Senatorial Mind Control and raise a private army. I needed the Three Rods of Power to obtain the talisman, so I looted the Rod of Air from the Temple of Aberzle, bought the Rod of Water from Locke Cole, and stole the Rod of Fire from Castle Fira. I recruited 7,232 Orcs for my army and purchased 6,491 swords, 3,188 spears, and 7,445 shields for them.
It’s…not great, but it does include the important bits, in rough order of importance, and it’s straightforward how to include more or less detail. If you’re making these intermediate goals manually, you can specify whether it’s typically important to go into the details or not.
Putting it in context
This is a top-down planning system. Before we were working with a bottom-up system instead. How do we reconcile this? Should we switch to top-down entirely?
Well, maybe. The top-down approach mimics how a human would plan. It’s somewhat backwards temporally, and its success requires accurately predicting the results of all your actions. That can be costly — but on the other hand, failures look somewhat like human failures. (The AI might fail at a prediction no human would, but it’s still producing a plot that’s perhaps reasonable in isolation.) But the huge downside of a pure top-down approach is that it requires a human to manually plug in every single intermediate state. That’s just exhausting.
A hybrid approach lets you guide your AI a lot more. This reduces the amount of innovation it can generate — but let’s face it, I can’t reasonably implement something that can find a novel solution that takes more than about twenty timesteps in-game. If I could make such an AI, I’d probably be able to apply it to real-world problems and make bank.
This approach does let the AI innovate among a much smaller search space when generating plans. But with a smaller search space, it can’t really produce as much novelty. The AI can also innovate between the plan nodes, but here it’s hamstringed by a lack of processing power.
Still, I think this is a balance between writing by hand and automatic generation.
Next time, we’ll consider implementing this beast.